This site may earn affiliate commissions from the links on this page. Terms of use.

Apple's outcome on September ninth is fast approaching, and we've already covered some of the rumors around what Cupertino could reveal this time around. I've owned an Apple iPhone half dozen Plus since its debut last October, and while I similar the phone, in that location are plenty of things it needs that aren't necessarily circulating in the blogosphere.

What we're actually expecting from the event is pretty well known by now: upgraded cameras once over again, including maybe to 12 megapixels and 4K recording on the back, and another crash-land in quality for the front-facing sensor; a Forcefulness Touch display like to what's on the Apple Watch; a stronger 7000-series aluminum alloy that could alleviate fears of accidentally bending the phone; and a new A9 SoC with an improved CPU, GPU, and motility sensor chip.

And so with that — and granted, those are all going to be welcome improvements if they testify true — here'south what I'dactually similar to encounter Apple tree bring to the tabular array:

Better RF reception. This has been a perennial event with iPhones since the showtime generation model, merely it's especially acute if yous do what I did and switch from ane of the larger carriers to T-Mobile. T-Mobile can accomplish some very fast LTE speeds, but its coverage is centered on major metropolitan areas in the US. And as I've constitute to my chagrin when heading out to my apartment in Queens, the combination of the iPhone six Plus'due south weak RF performance and T-Mobile'southward less-than-stellar network coverage shows up the moment you pop out of the underground tunnel on the subway from Manhattan to Queens. Some days I take no point at all for the first four above-ground subway stops, even if I switch into Airplane way and back out once more. It's simply dead, one mile out of Manhattan: "No Signal." This never happened on AT&T or Verizon, but information technology does on T-Mobile, and in my experience,just with iPhones.Several of us at various Ziff Davis sites have confirmed Samsung Galaxy phones have much stronger data reception, and loaner Android phones I've taken out this style never drib completely.

An iPhone 6, searching for cellular connectivity (iOS 8.0.1 bug)

An iPhone 6, searching for cellular connectivity [Image credit: Taylor Hatmaker]

An AMOLED brandish. Hear me out, because I know this is heresy in some circles. Early AMOLED displays on Samsung phones had exaggerated color and poor functioning in sunlight. The latest models are drop-dead gorgeous. If the side by side iPhone had an AMOLED brandish similar in quality to the stunning panel on the Milky way Note v, my credit menu would be out earlier my brain candy the fact that I reached for my wallet. I know this one isn't going to happen, merely seriously, accept a wait at the latest Samsung phones if you want to see an amazing display for watching movies or playing games.

More base of operations memory storage. 16GB in today's environment makes the phone about impossible to apply. Put bated media storage for music, videos, backing up in the cloud, switching to streaming services, and all that baloney. All you have to do is install a few AAA-style games and record some videos of your newborn with the built-in photographic camera, and you'll bump into that 16GB ceiling in the outset calendar week. Sure, you tin can buy the 64GB or 128GB model if you lot want more storage, but 32GB should be the absolute minimum. I've got a 64GB iPhone half-dozen Plus, but I had 16GB the last time around, and I nonetheless run into people constantly with storage issues.

Improved low-low-cal video performance.This could be a software thing instead of hardware — heck, if we actually dive into iOS issues, I've got a tremendous list, starting with Apple tree'due south terrible Photos and new Music apps — simply I fear this one is in hardware, and difficult to crack. All I know is that whenever I switch the iPhone's splendid camera from photograph to video style, the bachelor light gathering drops tremendously, to the point where every single indoor video I've taken recently looks like the lights were out. Maybe itis a software tweak.

A smarter battery.Everyone wants more battery life from their phones, myself included. Just how come sometimes I tin can pull out the phone only to realize that the camera has been on, or Waze has been running in the background with GPS when I didn't realize it, or a rogue app has been sitting in retentiveness running abiding groundwork refreshes for no reason? You lot can tell the phone was working for no reason because it's hot. Power direction is ane of today's most important topics in chip and software design, and improvements tin can't come soon plenty. But a little more ingenuity from the phone itself would too exist great.

More stability with iOS 9. One other software thing I will mention is the Os kernel itself. Even with iOS 8.iv.1, my phone locks up on occasion, the browser stops working, the photographic camera hangs with a blank pic showing, the one-finger-scroll-up maneuver to activate the camera on the lock screen stops working and only raises the bar a quarter of an inch no matter what I do; and the list goes on. The base Os should be rock solid. It used to be this fashion, but it hasn't for me for the past couple of years now, and information technology's gotten old.

I've been a "switcher" for the past 30 years — ever since I grew up, I've been switching back and along between PCs and Macs, Sega Genesis and SNES, PlayStations and Xboxes, and every bit of late, all around the merry-go-round of mobile OSes, including iOS and Android several times. Information technology keeps my mind fresh and full of solar day-to-day feel with each platform, in addition to all the loaners I test as part of my job. My side by side personal phone may well be an Android phone over again. But based on almost a twelvemonth'southward worth of experience with the iPhone half dozen Plus, if I were getting the side by side model, the above is what I would want most.

What about you lot? What practice you lot want to meet in the adjacent iPhone? Let us know in the comments beneath.